Elliptical Cross Trainers
An elliptical (also known as a cross trainer) is one of the most common cardio machines in gyms worldwide. An elliptical merges the movements of a treadmill, exercise bike and stepper to result in a workout that engages your entire body. Featuring moving handles, you work your upper and lower body simultaneously with little to no impact on your bones and joints. Great for the home, it’s no wonder that cross trainers are almost as popular as treadmills!
At Fitness Superstore we offer a huge variety of cross trainers for both home and commercial use, manufactured by world renowned brands such as Bowflex, NordicTrack, ProForm, BH Fitness, Life Fitness, Matrix and many more. With ellipticals to suit all budgets and spaces, and with a range of flexible finance options to choose from, you’re sure to find the right one for you.
CROSS TRAINER BENEFITS
Low impactUsing an elliptical reduces the impact on your joints, compared to cardio exercises such as running.
Encourages aerobic fitnessPushing pedals and engaging your arms via the levers provides an aerobic workout which is great for your heart, brain, and blood vessels.
Total body workoutIn using both your arms, legs and core, your elliptical workout will target your entire body, including large muscle groups.
WHAT TO CONSIDER
Braking systemAlmost all elliptical trainers use magnetic braking, and you will need this option if you want to utilise programmes.
Lower body movement feelThe feel of an elliptical is very subjective. Ideally it should feel smooth throughout the range of movement, with a natural stride pattern, or with a footplate that changes direction very suddenly as it reaches the end of the ellipse.
Upper body movement feelThe handles should be comfortable to grip and without significant play as the handles change direction. Check that at high resistance levels, there is no rocking or instability.
Ellipse stride length adjustmentSome machines allow you to shorten or lengthen the stride, making it easier to match the machine's movement to your own natural stride pattern.
Console feedback and ease of useHow clear and comprehensive is the displayed information? How easy is it to access programmes (if there are any)? Are the buttons clearly visible and easy to use?
The maximum workloadHow much workload can the elliptical provide when used flat out? Advanced users should look for at least 250 watts.
Power typeSome elliptical trainers are self-powered, whilst others require a mains connection.
Programmes/AppsMany ellipticals have built in workout programmes to mix up your training and support different workout goals. Examples would be interval training, hill climbing or even custom workouts that you create yourself. Ideal for the more adventurous, more and more ellipticals are starting to offer advanced workout options, such as virtual interactive training and access to online apps. These allow for more advanced progress tracking and limitless workouts. The more variety, generally the higher price the treadmill. Some examples include:
- iFit COACH: compatible with select Nordic Track and ProForm ellipticals, iFit coach allows you to access a huge library of engaging workouts. Using Google Maps, you can traverse real-world routes from across the globe.
- LFconnect: compatible with select Life Fitness ellipticals, you can use your Apple and Android device to interact with your equipment. It tracks progress and offers personalised workouts.
CROSS TRAINER ADD ONS
Place under your elliptical for stability and to protect your floors from wear, as well as perspiration.
some elliptical cross trainers offer wireless heart rate monitoring. Belts can be added for even more accurate readings. Alternatively, you can buy a heart rate monitor.
modules can be purchased for additional workout programmes (select brands and models).
Why buy your cross trainer from Fitness Superstore?
- You can try before you buy - and get expert advice from our in-store advisors - at any one of our 11 UK showrooms
- We offer a range of payment options, including interest free finance and buy now, pay later schemes. Payments can be spread over 6, 12, 24 or 36 months (depending on the product and finance type. You can find more information on our finance options page.
- Fastest delivery - many of our cross trainers are available for next day or Saturday delivery, and you can even choose you delivery date
- Delivery is free on all ellipticals (no delivery costs for purchases over £99) delivered to UK mainland addresses (exclusions apply). For details please see our delivery information.
- Installation service available: All ellipticals do come with instruction manuals, but we do offer an installation service for selected models. For more information call us on 01604 673000.
- 14-day Price Promise: Our 14-day Price Promise guarantees that you purchase an elliptical cross trainer at the lowest price. If you subsequently find the same like-for-like product at a lower price, we will refund 110% of the difference immediately.
- Second hand and ex-display options: As well as brand new, we also have a small selection of second hand and ex-display cross trainers available to purchase and pick-up from our store locations. For more information see our ex-display cross trainers or contact us on 01604 673000.