ROWING MACHINE BENEFITS
Rowers work most of your joints through a significant and beneficial range of movement, without damaging your joints.
During cardio exercise, endorphins are released into your bloodstream. This release of endorphins produces a natural high, which in turn relieves stress.
Boosted energy levels
Exercise of any kind will increase your energy levels, and rowing is one of the best forms of exercise to help increase your overall energy.
Total body workout
A massive benefit of rowing is that it works your entire body, rather than an isolated muscle group.
Ideal for a number of users
Rowing machines are a good option for those seeking weight loss, cardiovascular fitness, muscle tone, flexibility, strength, or endurance. They are also recommended for competitive athletes and people recovering from injuries.
Increased lung capacity
Rowing will help improve your lung capacity, making you stronger and healthier.
WHAT TO CONSIDER
Type of rowing machine
Do you want a realistic on-water simulation, or perhaps you prefer a quiet motion? There are varying resistance types available with rowers. The most realistic rowing motion is supplied by fluid rowers, which are powered by water. Here are the three categories of rower and their resistance types:
The most realistic of all options, fluid rowers accurately simulate on-water rowing by increasing the resistance in direct proportion to the pace at which you row. Water powered, you can adjust the amount of water in the resistance tank to increase or decrease the overall pressure and resistance. Fluid rowing machines tend to have a smaller footprint compared to air rowers.
Sometimes combined with magnetic resistance, air rowers closely match the simulation of a true rowing experience. This is second only to fluid rowers. Powered by a flywheel, wind is used for resistance. These rowers can be a little noisy.
Quieter in operation than other rowers, magnetic rowers use powerful electromagnets to provide adjustable degrees of resistance. Although quieter in operation, magnetic rowers mostly lack the feel offered by quality air and fluid rowers.
Your available area
It’s imperative that the rower you buy fits comfortably into your allocated space. Measure the length, width and height of the available area. When measuring, make sure you allow extra space for getting on and off the machine. Fluid rowers store vertically to save space, so be sure to bear that in mind.
Standard of construction
A quality rower will feature well-finished, solid construction with an aluminium seat rail. Duel rails are quieter than single rails. The machine shouldn’t be unsteady when you sit on it. Another sign of a high-quality machine is a decent seat runner. To test this, move the seat to one end of the rail and tilt that end of the rower up a couple of inches. A good runner and rail will allow the seat to roll freely to the other end with minimal tilting. Commercial-grade rowing machines are built to withstand higher daily usage than rowers designed for the home.
If you’re tall, it’s worth checking that you can use the machine comfortably, so a longer seat rail would be wise. The seat should feel comfortable, even after you’ve completed your workout. Some rowers have higher seats, which you may prefer, particularly if you’re tall. Make sure your feet can be comfortably secured in the footplates. Many rowers come with adjustable footplates with handy straps. Lastly, the handle should feel comfortable to hold and offer good grip, even when your hands are becoming tired and sweaty.
Quality of movement
Look for a smooth and even feel with no jerkiness or points where resistance suddenly drops away, especially at the beginning of the stroke. Check the range of the movement - when you’re as far forward on the runner as possible (i.e. buttocks as close to the heels as possible) with your arms fully extended and holding the handle, the handle shouldn’t have reached its start position.
Console and programmes
Rower consoles display your workout statistics, which will include at least your speed, distance, time and calories burned. More advanced models offer additional options, such as heart-rate monitoring or dedicated programmes, ideal if you want workout variety. The more advanced the options, the higher the price bracket so it’s important to consider whether programmes are important to you.
We recommend choosing a rowing machine that can handle about 20kg more than your own weight to guarantee stability when you’re rowing
Storage and portability
Rowers are amongst the most compact of cardio equipment and tend to have a long, narrow footprint. Fluid rowers can be stored upright, which is useful if you’re tight for space. This is usually a very simple process for one person to do single-handedly. Rowers often come with transport wheels for easy transportation so make sure you check for these if you’re likely to be moving the machine from place to place.
ROWING MACHINE ADD ONS
Place under your rower for stability and to protect your floors from wear, as well as perspiration.
Some rowers offer wireless heart rate monitoring. Belts can be added for even more accurate readings. Alternatively, you can buy a heart rate monitor.
Why buy your rower from Fitness Superstore?
- You can try before you buy - and get expert advice from our in-store advisors - at any one of our 11 UK showrooms
- We offer a range of payment options, including interest free finance and buy now, pay later schemes. Payments can be spread over 6, 12, 24 or 36 months (depending on the product and finance type. You can find more information on our finance options page.
- Fastest delivery; many of our rowers are available for next day or Saturday delivery, and you can even choose you delivery date
- Delivery is free on all rowers (no delivery costs for purchases over £99) delivered to UK mainland addresses (exclusions apply). For details please see our delivery information.
- Installation service available: All rowers do come with instruction manuals, but we do offer an installation service for selected models. For more information call us on 01604 673000.
- 14-day Price Promise: Our 14-day Price Promise guarantees that you purchase a rower at the lowest price. If you subsequently find the same like-for-like product at a lower price, we will refund 110% of the difference immediately.
- Second hand and ex-display options: As well as brand new, we also have a small selection of second hand and ex-display rowers available to purchase and pick-up from our store locations. For more information see our ex-display rowers or contact us on 01604 673000.