At Fitness Superstore we offer folding treadmills for those who are short on space, non-folding treadmills for those with a larger workout area, and commercial treadmills for health clubs or gyms, which are designed to withstand heavy usage throughout their lifetime. The treadmill you choose ultimately all depends on your requirements. If you plan to use a treadmill for long distance running, you should consider a mid-range or commercial treadmill, while if you plan to use your treadmill for walking or light jogging, one of our lower priced treadmills should be ideal. We also now offer treadmill desks (desk treadmills). The desk treadmill is a revolutionary product, which removes the negative effects of a sedentary work life by allowing you to exercise your body while you work. Desk treadmills look very much like treadmills, but they have an integrated desktop which can easily hold your computer or laptop.
Designed to withstand heavy usage throughout their lifetime, our commercial treadmills are the perfect platform for long distance running, and are able to withstand multiple users and lengthy sessions every day.
Less impact on joints:Running on a treadmill reduces the impact on your joints, compared to running on pavements or road surfaces. To further reduce the impact, you may choose to purchase a machine with an orthopaedic belt.
Reduced stress on joints: During cardio exercise, endorphins are released into your bloodstream. This release of endorphins produces a natural high, which in turn relieves stress.
Improved cardiovascular endurance: Exercise of any kind will increase your energy levels, and running is one of the best forms of exercise to help increase your overall energy.
Increased lung capacity: Running will help improve your lung capacity, making you stronger and healthier.
Increased bone density: The impact of running on a treadmill causes the body to increase the density of weight bearing bones, in an effort to accommodate the stress of the activity.
Increased calorie burn: Running is a weight bearing exercise, which means it burns more calories in comparison to rowing machines or exercise bikes.
WHAT TO CONSIDER
Measure your workout space: It’s imperative that the treadmill you buy fits comfortably into your allocated space. Measure the length, width and height of the available area and keep this handy when browsing treadmills. When measuring, make sure you allow extra space for mounting and dismounting. We recommend a 2ft clearance each side, 130mm at the front and at least 3ft at the back. Don’t forget that your treadmill will need to be located close to a power point.
Running area: We recommend a 51cm/20” wide belt for runners. In terms of length, at least 140cm/55” is recommended for runners, while 127cm/50” will be sufficient for walkers. The longer and wider the belt, the more room for natural running fluctuation, wider strides and general comfort.
Motor size: Motor size should be at least 1.5 continuous horsepower (CHP). We recommend 2.5 CHP+ if you will be running or jogging regularly on the treadmill. If you’re all for high intensity, you’ll definitely want to opt for a higher motor size (3.0 or above). Generally, a quieter motor indicates a more powerful machine. Most commercial treadmills boasts a higher continuous horsepower to accommodate the heavy usage.
Speed and incline: We recommend a speed limit of at least 16km/h (10mph) for runners. We suggest adding a couple of km/h to your regular running speed. Incline (gradient) is a fantastic feature on treadmills as this is a simple way to add resistance, target different muscle groups and reduce impact on your joints. Most treadmills offer a decent incline range. The wider the range, the more intense a workout it offers.
Cushioning and stability: Track cushioning helps to protect your joints from impact. Compared to road running, a cushioned treadmill reduces impact by up to 40%, decreasing chances of injury and improving stamina. The sign of good cushioning is when a treadmill doesn’t shake, wobble or vibrate when in use. Most treadmills have good cushioning, while some advanced treadmills now feature variable cushioning, which delivers firm support on push off and cushioning for landing. ProForm and NordicTrack treadmills use external springs and have an internal elastometer. With every step taken, the deck relieves impact and propels you to your next step, providing not only impact absorption but energy return.
Programmes/Apps: Most treadmills have built in workout programmes to mix up your training and support different workout goals. Examples would be interval training, hill climbing or even custom workouts that you create yourself. Ideal for the more adventurous runner, more and more treadmills are starting to offer advanced workout options, such as virtual interactive training and access to online apps. These allow for more advanced progress tracking and limitless workouts. The more variety, generally the higher price the treadmill. Some examples include:
- iFit COACH: compatible with select Nordic Track and ProForm treadmills, iFit COACH allows you to access a huge library of engaging workouts. Using Google Maps, you can walk, jog or run real-world routes from across the globe with your treadmill cleverly adjusting your incline to simulate the terrain
- LFconnect: compatible with select Life Fitness treadmills, you can use your Apple and Android device to interact with your equipment. It tracks progress and offers personalised workouts.
- Kettler World Tours 2.0/S-Fit App: compatible with Kettler treadmills, the World Tours 2.0 module allows you to access virtual training and download virtual tours, while the S-Fit App offers three different modes – FUN, CHALLENGE and EXPERT.
Weight capacity: Commercial treadmills feature a higher weight capacity than most home-grade treadmills, ensuring all users at your facility are accommodated.
Storage and portability: Folding treadmills are a great option if you’re tight on space. You can simply fold the deck upwards to free up floor space. This is usually a very easy process for one person and the folding mechanism will always adhere to safety specifications, usually with features like a security lock and/or assisted automated lifting and lower systems. These treadmills are also easier to clean around and under. Foldable treadmills usually come with transport wheels for easy transportation. Many non-folding treadmills also come with wheels so make sure you check for these if you’re likely to be moving the machine from place to place. Note that non-folding treadmills are usually stronger and more stable than folding treadmills, making them a good choice for heavier users - but always check the treadmill’s weight capacity before purchasing.
Treadmill accessories:Floor mats:
Place under your treadmill for stability and to protect your floors from wear, as well as perspiration. Heart rate monitors and belts:
some treadmills offer wireless heart rate monitoring. Belts can be added for even more accurate readings. Alternatively, you can buy a heart rate monitor.
Advanced programming: modules can be purchased for additional workout programmes (select brands and models).
Why buy your treadmill from Fitness Superstore?
- We stock more treadmills than anyone else in the UK
- You can try before you buy - and get expert advice from our in-store advisors - at any one of our 11 UK showrooms
- We offer a range of payment options, including interest free finance and buy now, pay later schemes. Payments can be spread over 6, 12, 24 or 36 months (depending on the product and finance type. You can find more information on our finance options page.
- Fastest delivery – many of our treadmills are available for next day or Saturday delivery, and you can even choose you delivery date
- Delivery is free on all treadmills (no delivery costs for purchases over £99) delivered to UK mainland addresses (exclusions apply). For details please see our delivery information.
- Installation service available: All treadmills do come with instruction manuals, but we do offer an installation service for selected models. For more information call us on 01604 673000.
- 14-day Price Promise: Our 14-day Price Promise guarantees that you purchase a treadmill at the lowest price. If you subsequently find the same like-for-like product at a lower price, we will refund 110% of the difference immediately.
- Second hand and ex-display options: As well as brand new, we also have a small selection of second hand and ex-display treadmills available to purchase and pick-up from our store locations. For more information see our ex-display list of treadmills or contact us on 01604 673000.