Noted as one of the most diverse pieces of fitness equipment available, and perfect for toning almost every part of the body, medicine balls are a staple in gyms worldwide. However, despite being a proven, all-round fitness accessory, they often go unnoticed by gym-goers, and are sometimes mistakenly overlooked in favour for more unique and interesting options. But why do medicine balls deserve their place in every gym setup?
THE HISTORY OF THE MEDICINE BALL
The earliest recorded use of a medicine wall is dated back 3000 years, where Persian wrestlers would throw sand-filled bladders to improve their strength. Then, in Ancient Greece, the physician Hippocrates would stuff animal skins for his patients to throw around for “medicinal” purposes. Now considered to be one of the “Four Horsemen of Fitness”, along with the Indian club, the dumbbell and the wand, there’s no denying the medicine ball’s health benefits.
WHAT ARE MEDICINE BALLS GOOD FOR?
- Full body workouts – with exercises to work every muscle group, you can get a total body workout from medicine balls alone.
- Combining cardio and strength – merging these two important aspects of exercise, you get stronger and fitter simultaneously, therefore achieving better results in less time.
- Building abdominal strength – effective for boxers, who drop them from a certain height onto the abdomen to simulate an opponent’s punch.
- Training versatility – medicine balls can be used simply for strength and recovery training, or can be incorporated into Circuit or HIIT routines
WHY ARE THEY A GOOD OPTION OVER OTHER WEIGHTS?
Medicine balls are perfect for those operating on a smaller budget, whilst also being very space-efficient! With individual balls or sets available, you can grow your collection as and when you need to.
WHAT EXERCISES CAN I DO WITH A MEDICINE BALL?
A quick Google search will give you hundreds of routines to try out, but some of the more common exercises can be performed alone or with a partner, and include squats, lunges, crunches, oblique twists and rolling push-ups.
WHAT TYPES OF MEDICINE BALLS ARE THERE?
At Fitness Superstore, our medicine balls are available in a weight range of 1kg to 12kg, and you can choose from the standard ball design, or double-handed options for an improved, secure grip. With a variety of finishes, including textured rubber and leather, you can take your pick to find the perfect ball for you.
If you’re still unsure on which medicine ball is for you, don’t forget that you can pop into any one of our 10 UK stores to have a look and get advice before you buy.
Latest posts by Fitness Superstore (see all)
- Tips For Working Out In The Summer Heat - May 18, 2018
- Why You Need To Start Boxing Training - May 4, 2018
- Fitness Superstore at Grand Designs Live London 2018 - April 25, 2018